About

This is the project blog of Multilingual NetBeans Community Docs Program- a community documentation project which has grown in leaps-and-bounds since it was launched in March, 2007. We have had high quality contributions and more enthusiastic community members.


We have stopped publishing weekly newsletters, however we started off publishing monthly one's instead. Scroll down for latest posts on this blog!

Last Updated: Oct 14, 2009

Monday, August 18, 2008

NBCD Spotlight- Tom Wheeler

Hi Tom,

Welcome to NetBeans Community Docs Program, we are glad to give yo
u spotlight. I just have few questions to ask, I am sure everyone would enjoy this as much as you will do.

Varun:
Where do you live?
Tom:
Well, I live in St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
Varun:
Cool! So, what exactly do you do?
Tom:
I am a Principal Software Engineer for Object Computing, Inc. (http://www.ociweb.com/). Most of my work during the past three years has been based on the NetBeans Platform. I've used the platform as a foundation for several engineering applications at Boeing where I am currently consulting. You can learn more about exactly what I do from the presentation I gave, along with Bruce Shimel of Boeing, at JavaOne this year:

http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/j1sessn.jsp?sessn=TS-5541&yr=2008&track=desktop
Varun:
So, those were your recent contributions. Now, tell me one thing, when did you first start using NetBeans?
Tom:
I tried it back in 2000 just after it was open sourced. But most of
the development I did on the time was on remote servers, so I
continued using vi and the UNIX shell for development for a few years.

I switched to Eclipse in 2003 and continued using it until I got
involved with the NetBeans Platform in 2005. When NetBeans 5.0 came out, I started using NetBeans IDE a lot because of the wonderful Matisse GUI editor and the very helpful support for building platform applications. Since major improvements in the editor and overall performance came out in NetBeans 6.0, I find it really is the only IDE I need.

Varun:
Finally, what do you like best about NetBeans?
Tom:
The one thing I like best is that I can install it and immediately start working. The features I need most, like the GUI builder and profiler, are built right in to the Java IDE. It's amazing how much they've packed into a 60MB download. In the rare case where I do need something extra, it's easily added from the plugin manager.

Tom, thank you so much. Hope to see more Developer FAQ's from you...

No comments: